Wednesday, March 21, 2018

HRH

Prince Andrew, the second son of the Queen came to our university to inaugurate a building that has been in use for a year. I don't think I have seen so many well-dressed white people in one place. Maybe only white Brits get excited about royalty. The people in his entourage and in the guest party as well as the uni staff scurrying around were almost all white. The fuss seemed a bit ridiculous, given that the Prince is sixth in line to the throne. But, what he lacks in importance he makes up for in scandal. Some of his nicknames are the Playboy Prince and Randy Andy.
We had a bird's eye view as our room is just above the back entrance to the building. My views on the royal family are ambivalent to negative. Yes, Britain colonized half the world in their name, but only in their name. My guess is notions of white supremacy rather than service to the Crown drove the empire-builders. Fans of the royal family tend to be old, white and conservative. So, would Britain become less racist and more progressive if they did away with the Royal family? I doubt it. Liberal racism is a real thing. But, I'm too tired too write about it today.

No comments: