Two people I know only from following their Twitter account died yesterday and today. One of them was a journalist suffering from epilepsy who would often describe her horrifying seizures on Twitter with humour. The other was the best Indian news photographer of our generation. I knew he was an exceptional photographer but today I learnt that most of the iconic photographs that have come out of India over the past year or two were taken by him. He was killed while covering the conflict in Afghanistan. After hearing about the death of the journalist, I went back to some of her old stories. One was about how she had rediscovered her Catholic faith a few years ago, and how it had helped her cope with her health troubles and the fallout of reporting on the Grenfell tragedy. How her faith had brought her in contact with people she would have never come across in her daily life, and how her church community had cared for her. Her thoughts echoed mine on the topic. I abhor organised religion but recognize that faith is an important part of people's lives. I don't have a faith but neither have I had the sky fall down on me. I often wonder how the faithless me will cope with catastrophe. Maybe I will find a faith that I would previously dismissed as superstition?
Friday, July 16, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment