Saturday, July 10, 2021
Nerves in Sport
I watched the women's Wimbledon final, today, and, boy, were both players nervous. Both finalists have won grand slams so it was not like they were wild cards who had found themselves on Centre Court by accident. But, it felt like they were taking turns choking under pressure. It wasn't a fun match because most points were won due to faults rather than winners. Is this the Covid effect? Has it reduced stress tolerance for the world as a whole? I can only imagine what playing on the world stage after a year and a half of a global pandemic can do to one's nerves. Watching the match also took me back to the times when I had choked under pressure in sports. There were two matches which I remember vividly, where I was the favourite and I fell to the pieces. Playing sport requires a certain level of emotional resilience. However, I don't fall to pieces in interviews and I am a fairly confident public speaker. Maybe this is a classic overthinker's problem. Stressful situations that require intellectual exertion are fine, but stressful situations that require you to quell your thoughts are difficult to cope with because our minds get in the way of instinct and muscle memory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment