Tuesday, February 2, 2021

The South African Variant

 Apparently, the South African variant is in Bristol and we are being urged to stay home. The quandary that the news put me in didn't last for more than a few minutes. I would stay home if the vice-chancellor shut the campus and not otherwise. I am by myself for a bulk of the time in the PhD and do not put myself or others at undue risk by going to uni. I take all the precautions that have become a standard feature of life. So, I would keep going in as long as the university was open. No more feeling guilty about whether I should be there, or whether I was doing the right thing. A part of leadership is about taking decisions for the collective good and not leaving it to your lessers to have to make individual decisions about the collective good. If the vice-chancellor or even for that matter the prime minister of the country are unprepared to do so, that's on them. I won't be made to feel guilty about it. 

No comments: