Wednesday, February 3, 2021

The Importance of Feeling Productive

 I had taken up teaching thinking it would, among other things, allow me an occasional respite from my PHD thesis. When I didn't have anything else to do, unproductive spells on my PhD would make me feel deflated. It would require a substantial amount of emotional labour and positive self-talk to bolster me. now, when I get stuck with my PhD, I can always divert my energies to teaching. Feeling productive is great for the mood. And, since my shoulder has taken a turn for the worse, I am having to expend considerable emotional labour power on keeping myself on a even keel as it is. Let us see how it goes but I am optimistic. Today, I turned my focus to teaching prep after hitting a wall with PHD writing, and I felt much better at the end of the day. Teaching hasn't started yet and a lot could go wrong, especially at a time like this, but I feel I made the right decision by taking up teaching. 

No comments: