Monday, February 15, 2021

Netflix Show On Indian Weddings

 Netflix seems to have taken it upon itself to make reality shows on the most cringeworthy aspects of Indian culture. First, there was the show which followed an Indian matchmaker as she worked her magic on some nincompoops. Then, there was the show on Bollywood C-listers who come from storied Bollywood families. And now, there is a show on Indian weddings. It is every bit as bad as I imagined it would be, made worse by the fact that its production is quite slick. Out of the three shows, I found the Bollywood one the least offensive. It is clear that the participants are putting on an act for you. But, most of the men are or are playing losers, while most of the women are or are playing prima donnas. They are completely okay with embarrassing themselves for our amusement. The same can't be said for the other two shows, which celebrate two of the most regressive aspects of Indian culture: arranged marriages and weddings. I don't have the energy to write about both, so I am just going to say arranged marriages are like a cattle market, and weddings of middle and upper-class Indians are where the extent to which middle-class living standards depend on the underpaid labour of the poor are fully on display. 



I sometimes feel I don't want to get married simply because I wouldn't be able to stand my wedding. 

No comments: