Tuesday, February 23, 2021

New Physio

 I saw a new physio today, which at least took my mind of the job disappointment. She was very thorough and seemed competent, but she didn't fill me with faith that she would be able to help heal my shoulder. But, why should she? She's not a cult leader, and I am not looking to be a part of a flock. Its a fairly common shoulder injury so I need to stop acting like I have this super-rare condition that no one will be able to cure. Yes, I tried with an osteopath and it didn't work. So what? Move on. Maybe a couple of years ago I would have told myself that I needed to heal myself in my head first, BELIEVE that it will be healed. But, I have been telling myself to stop obsessing over it. I have strong survival instincts and I am doing all I can to fix my shoulder. Obsessing over it will mean that I will swing from  exuberant enthusiasm in one moment to downcast dejection in the next, and will spend significantly more time in the latter than in the former. Fat lot of good that has done me so far. yes, being injured is difficult for a fitness obsessive like me, but that's life. You take your body for granted for the first 25 years of your life, and spend the next 10 years discovering all the ways in which you have unwittingly be abusing it. And, you learn about your body, which joints are more prone to injury and how to take preventative care. I have already discovered the exercises that work like a charm for my neck, knee and upper hip. Hopefully, I will discover the magic exercises for my shoulder too. 

An interesting thing that physio told me that rehabilitation exercises-or at least my shoulder exercises--are not aimed at training the body but at training the brain to send the electric pulses that fire the right muscles when it needs to. That is something to chew over.

No comments: