Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Online Teaching Mess

 My first session teaching online was a bit of a disaster. It started with me splitting the class into breakout groups and people having no clue what they were supposed to do for a good 10 minutes. When I finally pulled the plug on the breakout groups, most of the class left, never to return. That was quite a downer and I never fully recovered. I then discovered that trying to explain things online can quickly lead to a brain freeze. I struggled to explain concepts that I had felt were quite simple to do so and by the end of the session, there were just two people left.

But, I am not going to be hard on myself. I was teaching after two years, and teaching online at that. And, disasters teach you so much more than successes. I could write a short essay on everything I learned in one hour of shambling. And, that is what matters. 

No comments: