I was idling on the instagram the other day when I came across a post extolling the virtues of planning. The author said when she is faced with a crisis, her way of coping is to plan her way out of it. She quickly followed up with some guff about taking responsibility for your own happiness. I am the same. My instinct is to anticipate, plan and prepare. The moment crisis hits, even if I start having anxiety symptoms, my rational mind jumps into action. But, I also realise this is just a coping mechanism. You face a crisis, and you quickly make a plan to avert or rectify the situation. And, then what? Your cannot be on perpetually planning mode and you may not always get the chance to execute your plan. What do you do then? How well can you cope with a situation in which you are helpless and can do nothing but wait? When the shit hits the fan, planners will plan, fretters will fret and zens will remain zen. The point is what do you do after that first reaction.You can't plan your way out of every crisis, and in a world riddled with uncertainty you can't plan for infinite potential crises.
Friday, January 1, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment