Saturday, January 23, 2021

Evening Run

 Today, I decided to go for a run in the evening, instead of my usual Sunday morning. I think the last time I went for a run in the evening was at the start of my Holland stint. But when I discovered that the wet sand between the sea and the dry beach sand makes a great running surface, I switched to morning running, and never looked back. I prefer to run in the mornings because I am a morning person and it is less crowded. But, the forecast for tomorrow (Sunday) morning is heavvy snow so I was toying with the idea of running this morning. But, I realized I was prioritizing feeding my exercise compulsion when I should be prioritizing finishing my PhD so I decided to ditch the idea. I would either go for a run tomorrow morning, weather permitting, or give running a skip this weekend. But, its not so easy to step back from exercise compulsion. I decided to go for a run in the evening as a reward for working on my PhD during the day. Since too early would be too crowded and too late would be too cold and dark, I had to aim for the sweet spot between sunset and dusk--around 4:45pm, so I would have to finish my work by then. Having something to do at a set time is a rarity for Phd students in their final year, and especially during lockdown, so I was hoping the time constraint would spur me to work. I had a reasonably productive day but the run was no reward. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a run so little. It was cold, the parks were more crowded than they were in the morning and running in the dak is nowhere near as fun as walking in the dark, I discovered. To be at ease while running, it is important for me to be able to see where I am going. It wasn't pitch dark when I ran but dark enough to make me uneasy. I struggled through the run and was glad when it was over. No endorphin boost today. My body also feels more sore and tired than usual. So, I think I am going to stick to running in the mornings. Routines exist for a reason. Sunday is my  one free day and most people wake up late on Sundays, which means the parks are less crowded. 


Some reward it was. 

No comments: