A few days ago, someone I met on an online dating app asked for short story recommendations and I told her about Servants of the Map, my all-time favourite. I came across it in 2010 and must have read it at least five times since. Last evening, the urge to read it again seized me as I felt like I needed to be transported to another age and another place. The story is set in the 19th century and features a cartographer who is mapping the Karakoram with his team. The story is partly told through his letters to his wife, some of which are responses to her letters that are not revealed in the story. The writing, the setting, the age, the protagonist's introverted personality, all chime with me. I can imagine myself writing those same words if I was in his shoes. For many years, I had a special fondness for stories in which I could personally identify with the protagonist. So, if the protagonist was misfit introvert with a rich inner life and poor outer one, I was all over the story. Over the years, my reading tastes have expanded and I enjoy literature where I don't relate the characters, or at least not in a narrow sense. But, Servants of the Map is special. I luxuriate on every word and read it as one would sip a favourite wine.
The last time I read it was when the demons were dancing in my head. Insomina was a frequent guest at the time, and since I couldn't sleep I started reading the story. I would love to say the story lulled me into a peaceful sleep, but it didn't. The demons were too powerful at the time. But, it transported me to a different world for an hour or so, which is all it was meant to do.
The last time I read it was when the demons were dancing in my head. Insomina was a frequent guest at the time, and since I couldn't sleep I started reading the story. I would love to say the story lulled me into a peaceful sleep, but it didn't. The demons were too powerful at the time. But, it transported me to a different world for an hour or so, which is all it was meant to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment