Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Off Days

As I look back on an unproductive day less than two weeks from a chapter deadline, it is important to put things in perspective. I don't have a peer group working in the same research ares as I do. For almost the past three months, I have been working from home. I get along with my housemates but we are not friends. My PhD has been a intensely isolating experience, made more so by the Covid lockdown. But, I have done remarkably well to cope well under the circumstances. Yes, some other PD students have it much harder than I do, but so what? I am not complaining or whining to them. I am merely patting myself on the back for coping well. I thought working from home would be a disaster as I had never done it before. Most weeks, I used to spend six days out of seven at the university. But, I made my workspace comfortable in advance. And although I have not been as productive as I would have liked (who ever is?), I have made decent progress and more importantly, I have kept myself in good spirits. I have also tried to support friends in difficult situations to the extent I could. I have shown kindness and empathy to myself and to those around me. On off days, it is important to remember  this. 

No comments: