Today, I wrote to my MP asking him how I could leave the Labour Party. I had already cancelled the direct debit from my bank account last week. The current Labour Party leader says or does something that angers me everyday, so I decided its just not worth the bother. Once I am out of the party I can treat him as just another reactionary middle-class white man.
I had never been a member of a political party before I joined the Labour Party in November last year. I voted for Jeremy Corbyn with pride at the general election and was as crestfallen as anyone else when he lost by a huge margin. But, my experience of the being the Labour party has been of countless emails spat out by the Party's giant bureaucratic machine and events and events where I felt distinctly out of place. It seemed like the membership of the Labour party was a lifestyle choice for white middle-aged middle-class people of a slightly liberal persuasion in Southern England. But, at least during Jeremy Corbyn's time, the party's leadership said things I broadly supported.
When disillusioned, the two main options are to fight, flee or do nothing. I chose the second option, not least because I might not even be in this country 12 months from now. What's the point of being invested in the Labour party when my investment is only bringing me anger and disappointment. I get plenty of that from people and groups I am not invested in.
I had never been a member of a political party before I joined the Labour Party in November last year. I voted for Jeremy Corbyn with pride at the general election and was as crestfallen as anyone else when he lost by a huge margin. But, my experience of the being the Labour party has been of countless emails spat out by the Party's giant bureaucratic machine and events and events where I felt distinctly out of place. It seemed like the membership of the Labour party was a lifestyle choice for white middle-aged middle-class people of a slightly liberal persuasion in Southern England. But, at least during Jeremy Corbyn's time, the party's leadership said things I broadly supported.
When disillusioned, the two main options are to fight, flee or do nothing. I chose the second option, not least because I might not even be in this country 12 months from now. What's the point of being invested in the Labour party when my investment is only bringing me anger and disappointment. I get plenty of that from people and groups I am not invested in.
No comments:
Post a Comment