Saturday, June 27, 2020

Listening

I have recently come to realize that listening is a hard and under-appreciated activity. When someone comes to me with a problem, I am getting better at allowing them to talk, instead of bombarding them with advice. Also, to ask more questions rather than try to provide them with answers. But, in general conversation, I still think my listening skills leave much to be desired. I am an opinionated person and I don't have as many avenues as I would like to air my opinions. And as someone who enjoys discussion and debate, it is easy to get swept up in the moment and drown out less aggressive forces. 
Listening is not a passive activity. It requires both empathy and concentration, which are not always in abundant supply so its not just a question of practice. But, I suppose at least having the desire to be a good listener at the back of one's mind is a start.  

No comments: