Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Being a Friend To Yourself

A few years ago, during the darkest period of my life, I saw a counsellor at my university to help decided whether I should quit teach mid-semester and tend to my demons. I just saw the counsellor once but one thing he said stayed with me. "If a close friend was going through what you were, what would your advice to them be?". The answer to that question helped me decide to quit.
In times of Covid lockdown, when friends or family might be far away, or might have troubles of their own, it is important to be a friend to yourself. To be able to listen to yourself the way a wise friend would listen without shoving advice down your throat. And, to be able to say to yourself the things a friend would say to you in moments of darkness and despair.
Even before the lockdown I didn't have many friends in Bristol, and my closest friend here might be moving away soon. I am in the final year of my PhD, and stress and frustration are par for the course. But being a friend to myself has helped me cope. 

No comments: