I was raised atheist, and I am comfortable in my atheism. I am not a militant atheist and although I have very little regard for organized religion I respect all faiths. Life is difficult, and any faith or spiritual practice based in love, mutual respect and tolerance is fine with me. Most atheists grow up with the belief that you make you own fate, and I was no different. But, can a steadfast belief in one's own agency come in the way of acceptance? We are not master's of our own fate and there are so many things beyond our control. How does one cultivate a relationship with fate that is not based in blind faith or defeatism on one hand, or outright dismissal on another? One advantage of surrendering to fate is that you stop second-guessing every action and don't beat yourself up when things go wrong. And,you don't become nervous when you are confronted with a similar situation in the future. I guess the atheists need to becoming more accepting of faith, and the devout more skeptical of the power of their deities to influence their fate.
Friday, June 26, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment