Today was the second time someone told me my research question is not worth researching. He, too, was a male Indian journalist and also a former colleague who has a heart of gold. I know he didn't mean any malice and I laughed off his question. When someone tells you something is understood perfectly, there is nothing to research here, it should send alarm bells ringing. There is a small chance they are right, but in the social sciences, there is a much higher possibility that they are wrong. I am confident that my research is worthwhile,but it doesn't hurt to be met skepticism from time to time.
If nothing else, it keeps my ego in check.
The past few months have been great for my ego, by which I mean, they have been sobering. I feel very comfortable with my ego. Slights, real or perceived, don't prick me like they used to and I feel less envious of smart people in my field. Someone being praised for their intelligence doesn't make me less intelligent and, I actually feel lucky to have the company of intelligent people, unless they are arrogant jerks. And, even the arrogant jerks don't bother me as much as they used to. I steer clear of them, but without much rancour. This is a healthy place to be in.
If nothing else, it keeps my ego in check.
The past few months have been great for my ego, by which I mean, they have been sobering. I feel very comfortable with my ego. Slights, real or perceived, don't prick me like they used to and I feel less envious of smart people in my field. Someone being praised for their intelligence doesn't make me less intelligent and, I actually feel lucky to have the company of intelligent people, unless they are arrogant jerks. And, even the arrogant jerks don't bother me as much as they used to. I steer clear of them, but without much rancour. This is a healthy place to be in.
No comments:
Post a Comment