Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Kick On The Rump

Today, I got a much-needed kick on the rump to knock me out of my rut. It was a tad stronger than I would have preferred, but it has hopefully done the trick. I met my PhD supervisors today, and came out feeling how little time I had and how much there is to do. That will likely be how I feel after every meeting with my supervisors until I submit my PhD. I realize the next 10 months will be unlike any other period in my life. I will find strength and reserves that I never knew I had, and hopefully it will also be a tremendously fulfilling experience. I might forget from time to time how much I enjoy research. This is not a battle, this is a labour of love, at the risk of sounding melodramatic. I love my area of research, and am extremely fortunate to be able to  pursue it, guided by an amazing supervisor. There is no other topic that I would rather be researching, and I don't know how many people can say that. Yes, I will have to work out of my skin, but it will be creative work, not donkey work.
And, I will have to give myself many more pep talks, such as this one.

No comments: