I didn't do much today. This is my second unproductive working day in nearly a year, and I should be proud about that. My thesis-writing days during my master's had frequent spells where I did nothing for a few consecutive days. Such spells have become non-existent, which says something about my work ethic and level of commitment. A PhD, or at least a good one, requires a different level of commitment compared to a master's and I would like to think that I am on my way to achieving it.
But, off days still hurt. I still feel stuck in my research and I thought finalizing my India trip would be the kick on the rump that I needed to push forward with my research. I will be in India for research which I am quite unprepared for at the moment. While that hasn't happened, I am trying to tell myself that just like one swallow doesn't make a summer, one bad day, or a couple of bad days or even weeks don't make a difference. Progress, especially with something as creative as research, is rarely linear. Even the days on which you feel like you haven't done anything the wheels of your mind are turning. Who knows what research insight is cooking in your brain when you think it is idle. If nothing else, off days increase your sense off urgency. And, ultimately, it is about showing up every (working) day and accepting that there will be good days and bad days. You keep showing up and eventually you will start moving again. I don't mean to say don't take breaks or keep hitting your head against the wall. But keep showing up when you know you don't need a break and you are bound to have a breakthrough.
No comments:
Post a Comment