Lean Phase
What’s the best way to get through a lean phase, at work and
in one’s personal life? Rely on tried and tested tools, even if they don’t show
a marked effect, and wait for the lean phase to blow over. Or, make some
radical changes in one’s life. I am in favour of waiting for the phase to blow
over. When radically changes are required, it is sort of obvious. When you feel
like you are locked in a downward spiral, for instance. I don’t feel that way,
and while I am not working with the enthusiasm I would like, its not like I am
accomplishing nothing. Even lean phases have their uses, as the cogs in your
brain continue to turn, whether you feel them turning or not. Of course, one
has to keep showing up. But, it is important not to be too hard on oneself.
I suppose this lean phase is different than others, which is
what is making it more difficult to get through. During previous lean phases,
there was always something else I could focus on. Now, all my coursework is out
of the way, and I have decided not to teach next year and not attend any more conferences.
I have cleared up everything else in my professional life, leaving me to focus
on my PhD thesis. So, when the thesis stalls, it feels like I am not
accomplishing anything in my professional life.
I suppose single-mindedly focussing on my PhD will take some
getting used to. If one is not used to pouring all of oneself into one vessel, it takes some getting used to. It is
easy to dismiss lean phases as valuable time wasted, and it is useful to be
conscious of the passage of time. But,
the line between self-flagellation and pushing yourself is not so thin as most
people think. I believe I know the difference, and can pull myself back when I
find myself indulging in the former.
During lean phases, the thought that you could enjoy your
PhD seems unimaginable. There is no point in forcing yourself to enjoy your PhD
as it impossible to force enjoyment. Neither is it possible nor healthy to enjoy
every second of your PHD. But, it is important to be open to the idea that one
can enjoy one’s PhD.
No comments:
Post a Comment