A short post today that continues the rant from day before. I read an article in the Guardian defending Harry and Meghan's use of private jets while advocating for climate action. It claimed that the personal (use of private jets) shouldn't be conflated with the political (climate advocacy). I would like to know what was so political about H&M's climate advocacy? In fact, their political act was calling for individuals to be more responsible. Personal responsibility from people who can't afford private jets. Similarly, I was annoyed by a tweet that said the U.S.military was a bigger polluter than 140 countries, so how could that person (the tweeter) using wood cutlery make a difference? Firstly, I would like to know what that person, at an individual level,is doing to get the U.S. military to reduce their carbon footprint? And, if one was to move to the collective scale, millions of individuals using plastic cutlery creates mountains of plastic waste. It is annoying when people flit from the individual to the collective scale without compunction to make a point. In this particular instance, the U.S.military is a collective, they are not referring to a single U.S. soldier. So why compare themselves, as individuals, to the whole U.S. military?
Friday, August 23, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment