Friday, November 2, 2018

Writing

This week I turned in two pieces of writing that I wasn't satisfied with. Both were competent pieces of work but they didn't feel "whole" to me. I always try to turn in work that feels complete to me, at least at that point in time. It is a difficult feeling to describe--it is the feeling of having done justice to the work, of having  produced something that can stand on its own feet in your opinion, at least for some time. I am no great writer or thinker, but the feeling of fullness before I turn in something has always been important for me. Yesterday, while talking to a colleague, I talked about how I wasn't ready to "set it free" as I still had more work to do on it. I guess what I mean is a piece feels complete when I feel like I have nothing more to say.
Maybe I am take my writing too seriously. Maybe most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a "full" work and another, and might even prefer the latter. But, turning something in when you feel like you haven't said all you want to say can be quite a unsatisfying experience. This holds true for all kinds of writing, including blog posts.

No comments: