Today, one of my students said I would make a great lecturer after I told her I was doing a PhD and looking at a career in academia. She added that I was really good at explaining complex concepts in a simple way. Another student chimed in, saying he liked that I was neutral and didn't try to impose my point of view on students. Both comments made my day.
To be honest, I have always known that I am good at explaining stuff but praise from students is always welcome. But, more importantly, I can see a marked difference in my attitude towards students between my first teaching semester (which was before the Troubles) and now. I feel a kindness and generosity towards students that I never knew I had. And, I am not the kind of person who is great at bantering with students, or anyone for that matter unless we hit it off instantly or if tis a close friend. But kindness flows in many ways--through words, actions, facial expressions. I guess I act kindly because I feel kindly towards my students, so its not much of an effort.
As for the boy's comment, I am not in the business of proselytizing. I have no desire to convert anyone to my point of view. Sometimes I hear opinions that are quite bizarre, even ridiculous. But I never react strongly. No one likes being talked down to, everyone yearns to be respected. The best I can aim to do is to allow my students to think critically. I have learned this my from my PhD supervisor and hope to pass it on.
To be honest, I have always known that I am good at explaining stuff but praise from students is always welcome. But, more importantly, I can see a marked difference in my attitude towards students between my first teaching semester (which was before the Troubles) and now. I feel a kindness and generosity towards students that I never knew I had. And, I am not the kind of person who is great at bantering with students, or anyone for that matter unless we hit it off instantly or if tis a close friend. But kindness flows in many ways--through words, actions, facial expressions. I guess I act kindly because I feel kindly towards my students, so its not much of an effort.
As for the boy's comment, I am not in the business of proselytizing. I have no desire to convert anyone to my point of view. Sometimes I hear opinions that are quite bizarre, even ridiculous. But I never react strongly. No one likes being talked down to, everyone yearns to be respected. The best I can aim to do is to allow my students to think critically. I have learned this my from my PhD supervisor and hope to pass it on.
No comments:
Post a Comment