Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Shorter Days

Its been more than a week since the clocks went back but I am still getting used to the time change. What I miss most is the twilight hours before nightfall, since I am at work as dusk sets in. Till a few weeks ago, I enjoyed an after-work cup of tea while lounged on the sofa in the sitting room, watching the light fade. Sitting in complete darkness is not bad, but it doesn't put me in the pensive mood that the fading light does. The fading light frames objects in a mesmerizing monochromatic hue. I do enjoy doing yoga in complete darkness, but sitting on the sofa in the dark is not that relaxing.
My main dilemma is what time to return from work. If I leave work after 5 I have to cycle through two parks in compete darkness while keeping my eyes peeled for unlit pedestrians (Such is the life of cyclists. In summer we live in fear of running over dogs, and, in winter, of dashing into pedestrians. Cars, of course, are an around-the-year hazard). If I leave work early, I feel like I haven't done enough in the day. And, the question of how to spend the long evening looms. Since yoga and cooking on the day are my only evening occupations, there is a lot of time to fill. 

No comments: