Thursday, November 15, 2018

Change

It's three weeks since the  clocks went back and I am finally used to the shorter days. To cycling back in the pitch darkness of Eastville Park and Stoke Park. The shorter days have their own charm. I love doing yoga and sipping tea in the dark. One has to move with the rhythms of the world, not fight them. Changing seasons, changing circumstances, changing people. Being a creature of habit, I am not one for  constant change.  I like my routine. In fact, I savour it, take refuge in it. In a uncertain times, I find its constancy reassuring.
But what does one do when faced with change? One, eventually adjusts to it, with greater or lesser difficulty, sooner or later. "To adapt or perish is nature's inexorable imperative". But what about circumstances where it is not healthy to adapt, circumstances that call for resistance to change. Which brings us to one of  the most vital questions when dealing with life--when to back off and when to push back. One gets better at it with experience. One has to fall off several  small precipices to learn to avoid  the big ones. What helps is the resolution to be kind--to oneself and to others.

No comments: