Its always a dilemma which yoga video to choose on my rest days. So, I have started using a new method to select videos. I try to sum up my mood in a single word and then I select the video whose title comes closest to that word. The word could also so be something I feel like I need at the moment. And, often enough there is an exact match. For instance, today I felt the need to be still as I am going through a stressful phase at work. And, sure enough, there was a video titled 'Stillness Practice'.
Its not like the whole practice revolves around the title theme. A cynic would argue it is the same broad set of exercises that appear in different videos under different titles. But a) the videos are free, so what are you complaining about? b) Yoga is not a pill you pop when you are feeling ill or blue (not that I have anything against pills. If they work for you, more power to you). Yoga works best with your active participation and, more importantly, openness. You gain from it as much as you can, and with time you earn to gain more. So, I approach the practice of the day conscious of its theme but with an open mind and body. The point is not to think too hard about the theme but to see what happens as the practice unfolds. Some days the practice brings calmness and serenity, on others it doesn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment