My PhD progression report (or rather the first draft of it) is nearly ready. I finally have some idea about what my PhD is at this moment. That idea is bound to change as I go along and I am bound to get a load of feedback from my supervisors that will make me think long and hard before I even turn the progression report in. At the risk of sounding self-important, I am trying to do something for which there is no template, so the potential for going off the rails into La La land is enormous. What is intended to be ground-breaking work can easily break into bullshit territory. As my supervisor says, maybe the reason that no one has done it before is because there are good reasons not to.
But, research is about burning work--your previous work and that of others--and making something from the ashes. And, in time, burning that piece of work and making something new. I am glad I at least have something to burn now.
No comments:
Post a Comment