Thursday, May 10, 2018

Do Unto Others

It is easy to pick hole in someone's thesis and extremely difficult to defend your own. So it pays to be nice to other people. Do unto others as you would them do unto you. I didn't follow that dictum today. A lecturer at my uni was presenting a paper and I asked so many questions that it doubled the duration of her presentation. And, I pasted such a skeptical expression on my face that I could see her squirm while looking at me. I did take some joy in the fact that she herself had been quite the rotweiller when someone else was presenting at the staff research  seminar two weeks ago. Towards the end of her presentation she told me that she would love to know more about my work and maybe I would consider presenting my work next semester. She asked me again what my research was about today and I had mumbled something vague. She had asked me two weeks ago at the staff seminar when she had rottweilled and I had give the same vague answer. I must have come across as a jerk everready to pick holes in  other people's work but too chicken to even say what he is working on. Going by the practice in the staff seminars, I am pretty sure she will rip into me when I present. The price I will pay for being a smart ass. The lesson to be learned here? Be nicer to others and grow a thicker skin. If I only wish I knew how...

No comments: