Today was the third meeting of the female-focussed book club I am a part of and I loved every minute of it. The book was excellent, and discussing it with a smart and engaged group took it to another level. A book club discussion makes you feel like you are re-reading the book on steroids. You feel like you are plumbing the depths of the book, seeing the characters from so many different perspectives that it feels like you have insect eyesight.
We have managed to create an intellectually charged but comfortable atmosphere in our book club. Most of us are regulars who have been coming since the first sitting, but we are also welcoming towards newcomers. Another man joined us for the first time today, and from his engagement, it is safe to conclude that he really enjoyed himself. He read out two poems at the end, which inspired me to read out a poem I had brought to the first meeting (a poem about which I have blogged earlier). I had felt too awkward reading it at the first meeting because I was the only male there. But, now I feel comfortable enough in their company that I even told them that I had felt awkward the first time. I also feel confident enough to express my opinions without feeling stupid in front of the members, who are all really smart articulate women.
We get along so well that I sometimes wish we could hang out casually. I still just have one proper friend in Bristol and that is my work colleague. I have grown used to being by myself and I accept that friendships take time to build in this culture. But, I also know how much joy and comfort, friendships can bring, and I miss that. Anyway, what will be, will be. For now, I am just glad that I went to the first book club meeting.
We have managed to create an intellectually charged but comfortable atmosphere in our book club. Most of us are regulars who have been coming since the first sitting, but we are also welcoming towards newcomers. Another man joined us for the first time today, and from his engagement, it is safe to conclude that he really enjoyed himself. He read out two poems at the end, which inspired me to read out a poem I had brought to the first meeting (a poem about which I have blogged earlier). I had felt too awkward reading it at the first meeting because I was the only male there. But, now I feel comfortable enough in their company that I even told them that I had felt awkward the first time. I also feel confident enough to express my opinions without feeling stupid in front of the members, who are all really smart articulate women.
We get along so well that I sometimes wish we could hang out casually. I still just have one proper friend in Bristol and that is my work colleague. I have grown used to being by myself and I accept that friendships take time to build in this culture. But, I also know how much joy and comfort, friendships can bring, and I miss that. Anyway, what will be, will be. For now, I am just glad that I went to the first book club meeting.
No comments:
Post a Comment