Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day, so I thought I would write about my mother, although she won't read this. Many of us have complicated relationships with our mothers and that is understandable because its one of the, if not the, most important relationships in our lives. The more important the relationship, the more the scope for complications. The more the potential for love, the more the potential for pain. Aai and I have had our problems, which came to the fore during the past few years, causing a lot of turbulence. But, I am happy to say that all that is behind us now. It was a long and painful journey to realizing that there are many ways of living, many ways of loving and many ways of mothering. If you leave aside obviously toxic relationships, none is necessarily better than the others. We all live to the best of our ability and we all love to the best of our ability. Coming to terms with any relationship is more a question of acceptance than of forgiveness. 

No comments: