Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Anxieties Cancel Off

I discovered that I lost my wallet this evening, and I am taking it swimmingly well. Not only am I not fussing about the inconvenience or the lost money, the incident has also taken my mind off my PhD report,which I was stressing about. Maybe it is two stress-points nullifying each other or maybe just one distracting me from the other,  but whatever it is, I welcome it. Yes, I will have to spend some time and mental energy arranging for a new student ID, bank card and wallet, which will make my busy days busier. But, I am grateful that I removed my residence permit from the wallet last week, because losing the permit would have meant cancelling my trip to Italy next month. I am also taking inspiration from my nephew, who broke his arm last year and took it like a champ. I took him to an aquarium some time last year and we idled on a nearby beach for a bit afterwards. I have a photo of him in a floppy cap, one arm in a cast, beaming from ear to ear. Maybe we are socialized to react to certain situations in a certain way, and kids are often clueless about the appropriate reaction. It is sometimes liberating to not feel the way you are supposed to feel in a certain situation. I know this tranquility may be temporary, just like anxiety which comes and goes without rhyme or reason. But, right now, I am at peace.

No comments: