Monday, March 16, 2020

WFH Day 1

It didn't go as badly as I feared, nor as well as I had hoped, like most things in life. I was moderately productive, but coronavirus remained at the top of my mind. Trying to strike the right balance between being kind to yourself during this difficult phase and not slacking off completely is difficult. A part of the reason is never before in my lifetime or those of most of us who have not suffered war or natural disaster has the future been so uncertain. What will the world that I, as a newly-minted PhD student, step in look like? It is impossible to predict the extent of devastation and subsequent upheaval that this will cause. This world is now bursting at its seams and feels like its going to be explode in a Big Bang. 
The current situation represents a morbid dilemma for those on the left like me. Yes, going back to the pre-coronavirus world of peak fascism, rising inequality and breakneck-speed climate change doesn't feel like an enticing prospect. But if that world is a frying pan, the coronavirus is the fire. There is no telling what the world will look like when it comes out of the fire.
Of course, I am being melodramatic. Maybe it won't be as mild as I hope or as bad as I fear. 

No comments: