Thursday, March 5, 2020

Housemate From Hell

Last night, I woke up to the sound of one of my housemates chatting with her male companion for the evening and I had trouble going back to bed. At least, I don't wake up to the sound of her howling in the midst of coitus, which happened about two weeks back. I was fuming in the morning and decided to leave her a polite  but firm note after checking with my housemates.
One realizes how long one's tether is as one reaches the end of it. She has been far from a model housemate but since I had recently moved in and tend to avoid confrontation, I held my peace. But, today, all the times she had been inconsiderate and annoying came flooding back to me.
I can feel this is going to get ugly. Someone who is so inconsiderate isn't going to change her ways easily. She is a drama queen, so her reaction will be angry or tearful or both. I could do with the added stress in my life: being stuck in my PhD, coronavirus, India going down the tube and my PhD colleague's slow descent into insanity. But, we have no choice. We have given away too much ground as it is and if we were to cede any more we wouldn't be left with any to even stand on. This housemate has abused  our tolerance. We have as much right to be here as she does. She should be the one who is afraid, not me.
I might not sleep well tonight either. She is not back yet, and there is a chance she will come back in the middle of the night and raise a ruckus. I have already decided that I won't confront her in the middle of the night. So maybe I won't sleep well tonight either. So what. It won't be the end of the world. I have dealt with far worse insomnia when I was battling with anxiety. I didn't sleep well for months. This is nothing compared to that.

No comments: