The Coronavirus situation is spiraling downwards faster than anyone can imagine. A few weeks ago, news reports say it was supposed to peak around Easter. Now, the whole of Italy is going to be under lockdown. People are talking about closing schools and offices in the UK, and people are being encouraged to work from home. 'Self-isolate' has become the word of the year.
As a foreigner with a history of anxiety who lives in a shared house, I am obviously dreading catching the infection. I don't want to spend two weeks cooped up in my room. But, there is nothing I can do except wash my hands more. My hands are already chafed from all the extra-washing. If the virus spreads so easily, if it is like a ghost, nothing is fool-proof protection against it. One has to surrender to fate, while of course taking all the necessary precautions. A rule of thumb of life is it seldom turns out as bad as you fear or as well as you hope. And, tough situations bring forth hidden reserves of fortitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment