Sunday, March 8, 2020

Pat on the Back

This year so far has not been easy for me. Apart from the fact that the government has gone full rogue in India, I have had to contend with falling behind in the write-up phase of my  PhD, and an assortment of quibbles such as a colleague's worsening mental health, an exasperating housemate, the loneliness of a PhD, and now coronavirus. These might seem trivial but they have come in quick succession and loomed large over my life at the time when they were current. By all indications, this year is going to get tougher. I am girding myself for the possibility that I might not be a able to take a break from Bristol for months, which would actually be the best-case scenario. The worse-case scenario would be to be quarantined and be stuck in my house. The worst-case scenario, of course, would be to catch the virus and fall severely ill, or die.
At this point, I feel it is important to acknowledge that I have dealt with the stressful situations like a champ and I am really proud of myself. Despite a succession of setbacks and blows I have managed to stay on an even keel and soldier on with my PhD. I have shown tremendous fortitude and the ability to be kind to myself. I haven't gone running in panic to anyone, although I will feel no shame in doing so it if comes to that. I really do think that I am coping with life well. These tough times won't last but the lessons learnt during them will. 

No comments: