The last time I went to the supermarket the shelves looked bare. There were barely any fruits, vegetables or rice. For the past few Saturdays, the newspapers have been carrying stories of panic buying. It is not surprising that a consumerist society reacts to every situation by buying. During coroanvirus its panic buying, and at other time it is festive buying or bargain buying. You buy when you are feeling low to feel better, you buy when you are feeling good and want to celebrate. Pleas by supermarkets are likely to fall upon deaf years. They have fed the beast of consumerism, and think they can cajole the beast to stop feeding during a crisis? Fat chance!
This might not be the right time to rant against consumerism. I have given up judging people for their consumerist ways, although I suppose my disapproval shines through my demeanor. But, I draw the line when I am pushed to partake in the consumerism.
This might not be the right time to rant against consumerism. I have given up judging people for their consumerist ways, although I suppose my disapproval shines through my demeanor. But, I draw the line when I am pushed to partake in the consumerism.
No comments:
Post a Comment