Saturday, December 7, 2019

Palestine Film Festival

The number of time I have signed up for cultural events in Bristol hoping for a diverse politically engaged crowd and been disappointed. Today's Palestinian film festival was no different. Old, white middle-class people made up most of the audience and the films were quite ordinary too. I know I am being judgemental when I say that that audience would have lapped up anything with the label "Palestine" stuck on it. I had attended the event not because I love movies but out of solidarity with Palestine. But, my friend was possibly one of two or three Arabs present. Yes, all such events, and those who attend them are 'performing' but it seemed like this performance was for the benefit of white middle-class Brits only. I think I am done with attending events out of solidarity (protests are a different matter). From now on, I am only going to attend events that I find interesting.
After the film festival, I was feeling lonely, so I walked up to Brandon Hill. When one feels lonely, the solution is to either find company or find solitude. I generally prefer the latter. As I walked up the deserted path to Brandon Hill in the dark, my mind went back to when I first arrived in Bristol. I would visit Brandon Hill frequently as I was often lonely and Brandon Hill was one of the few places where it felt good to be alone. I went to Brandon Hill after quarreling with my crazy landlord, who would eventually serve me an eviction notice in the middle of the night. I went there after a lackluster meeting with another PhD student. This was back when I was trying to make new friends and being repeatedly disappointed. I have long given up trying to make new friends as I have realized that I am someone who can do without  many friends.  

No comments: