After doing a new intensive workout, the body feels like all the blood has been sucked out of it. Any movement feels unnatural, as though the muscles are having unreasonable demands put on them. In the adrenaline rush of the workout you don't feel much. The crash comes once you have regained your breath and the body has started to cool down. I just a finished doing a new workout to make up for missing my weekly yoga class due to heavy rain. Missing yoga is always a downer for me so I decided to do something intensive to take my mind off it. The workout was not completely new, but the last time I did it was in June, so as good as new, as far as my body was concerned. It is amazing how much the body adjusts to a particular form of exertion, so a new form of exertion is always a pain in the beginning.
The adjustment period varies depending on the exercises. When I started a new bodyweight routine when I was in India, the adjustment period was almost a month. After every workout, I felt like a deflated balloon. After some especially intensive workouts, it would feel like my breath had returned to normal even an hour or two after the workout. I wouldn't be panting for breath, which would be extremely worrying. It would just feel different. And my dizziness came back with such a vengeance that I felt something was wrong with my heart. As someone who is prone to over-exertion, I have learnt the hard way to pace myself more, and although I still push myself beyond reasonable limits sometimes, it is not often. During today's workout, though, I felt like I was going to pull my dodgy psoas as well as my okay psoas. But the fitness fanatic that I am, I powered through, and thankfully, there were no cracks or snaps. Maybe the real fun will be tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment