I have discovered that I am deeply interested in the topic of attractiveness. Just yesterday, I read an interesting take on the furore caused by a famous black rapper saying Britain was racist. The take was that a lot of the anger at the rapper was driven by white men's sexual envy towards the rapper, who is smart, exceptionally talented, good-looking and unapologetically black. The take went on to say that victims of police brutality tend to be quite good-looking black men. Of course, attraction is in the eye of the beholder, but not completely. Some people are generally perceived to be more attractive than others and that is the harsh truth. But, I am also interested in the racial dimension of envy. I have noticed that there are no bad-looking hippies of colour. If you are a hippy of colour, then to be socially accepted, chances are you have to be gorgeous. The same doesn't apply to white hippiesTo feel secure in an alternative lifestyle, if you lack the privilege of whiteness, you need to rely on the advantage of your attractiveness. White people get more leeway to pursue alternative lifestyles, and so do attractive people. Few people possess the self-confidence to be completely immune to the jdugement of the wider society, as well as the judgement of their peers in the alternative lifestyle. A plain-looking hippy of colour is an object of pity or derision, a good-looking one is a subject of curiosity or amusement. People have also pointed out that average-looking white men attract much more attention on dating websites than average-looking Asian men.
Wednesday, December 25, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment