Tomorrow morning, I return to Bristol after the Christmas break to face the most crucial six months of my PhD. As I was walking along the seafront in Brighton this evening, it occurred to me that the next six months will be the longest stint in Bristol at a stretch since I moved there more than three years ago. Every other stint has been punctuated with breaks to Brighton, my sister's place in Madrid, or India where I spent almost five months this year. Ideally, I would like to get more comfortable in Bristol. While I am fond of the city, I still feel like I haven't put roots down there. But, there seems to be little point in doing so now. In the next 6-9 months, I will know whether I will be staying on in Bristol or moving away.
But, this post is about Britain. On this trip, I preferred to go for my daily seafront walks in the evening, when it is much less crowded. It weather has not been too cold by December standards and the wind has not been very brisk either. My walk on Christmas eve was the most enjoyable I have been on in months. I tried to recreate that experience, and managed to partially do so today. Having the sea so close by is a blessing, although it is still not comparable to the year and half I spent in Holland at a stone's throw away from Scheveningen beach. That is where I discovered the pleasure of nightly walks on the beach. The beach was sandy too, so I could go right up to the water.
I am just rambling now. Time to put this one to bed.
But, this post is about Britain. On this trip, I preferred to go for my daily seafront walks in the evening, when it is much less crowded. It weather has not been too cold by December standards and the wind has not been very brisk either. My walk on Christmas eve was the most enjoyable I have been on in months. I tried to recreate that experience, and managed to partially do so today. Having the sea so close by is a blessing, although it is still not comparable to the year and half I spent in Holland at a stone's throw away from Scheveningen beach. That is where I discovered the pleasure of nightly walks on the beach. The beach was sandy too, so I could go right up to the water.
I am just rambling now. Time to put this one to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment