My last post was about a rule of thumb so let me try to continue the theme. The rule of thumb I am going to talk about today is that life usually doesn't turn out as well as one hopes or as badly as one fears. To apply that to the ongoing UK election, the Tories will not gain a majority but will still be the largest party by a large margin. But we live in extraordinary times. In the last two Indian elections, the results were worse than I had feared. Could the result of this UK election be as good as I hope: Labour as the largest party, or dare I say it for fear of jinxing it, with a majority?
I reached the polling station bright and early this morning and brimming with excitement, despite the lousy weather. It was still dark and there didn't seem to be anyone around outside the school. The only sign that there was an election was the "polling station" sign outside. There was no queue, and I possibly spent less than two minutes inside. I was grinning to ear as I put my ballot paper into the box.
I suppose I will ponder over why this election result is a big deal for me over the next few days, weeks and months. I have never been more nervous or excited about an election. Part of it is because Labour is standing with its most radical manifesto in decades. Maybe part of it is because England has started to feel like home and who wins the next election will affect my life materially as well as emotionally. Even if my life doesn't change materially, my perception of the country and UK society will change, which matters as much or more.
But I will save further reflections for another day. The exit polls, which have an excellent record of predicting the poll results, are due in 25 minutes. We will know whether Britain will adds its name to the long list of fascist regimes or buck the trend and be the first left-wing government in the rich world in generations.
As luck would have it, this is my 499th blog post. My 500th post will be hopeful or despairing depending on the election result. Twitter today has been giving a lot of hope, but I am aware it is a super-bubble and may give a very warped view of reality. Anyway, all appendages crossed.
I reached the polling station bright and early this morning and brimming with excitement, despite the lousy weather. It was still dark and there didn't seem to be anyone around outside the school. The only sign that there was an election was the "polling station" sign outside. There was no queue, and I possibly spent less than two minutes inside. I was grinning to ear as I put my ballot paper into the box.
I suppose I will ponder over why this election result is a big deal for me over the next few days, weeks and months. I have never been more nervous or excited about an election. Part of it is because Labour is standing with its most radical manifesto in decades. Maybe part of it is because England has started to feel like home and who wins the next election will affect my life materially as well as emotionally. Even if my life doesn't change materially, my perception of the country and UK society will change, which matters as much or more.
But I will save further reflections for another day. The exit polls, which have an excellent record of predicting the poll results, are due in 25 minutes. We will know whether Britain will adds its name to the long list of fascist regimes or buck the trend and be the first left-wing government in the rich world in generations.
As luck would have it, this is my 499th blog post. My 500th post will be hopeful or despairing depending on the election result. Twitter today has been giving a lot of hope, but I am aware it is a super-bubble and may give a very warped view of reality. Anyway, all appendages crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment