It is about 36 hours to the General Election and I will be voting for the first time in my life. I have never voted Iin my native India, so it feels a little weird voting in a foreign country. By a quirk of fate, a country which treats South Asians with disdain allows them to vote as they are Commonwealth citizens. And I keep joking that the Only reason India is in the Commonwealth is for the medals at the Commonwealth Games.
But, my vote this time won't be a protest vote or an indifferent vote. I will happily vote Labour and pray that this country doesn't vote for a fascist. It just occurred to me how little I have thought of the political situation in India over the past few weeks. Is it because India occupies a smaller part of my consciousness? Is it because the news coming out of it is uniformly depressing? I don't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment