Sunday, December 1, 2019

First Day at 46, Romney Avenue

My first day in the new house passed off largely without incident. The only surprise was to discover that the toilet doesn't have a washbasin! I will have to keep a supply of hand-sanitizer. From a functional perspective, my only complaint is that there is just one toilet and one bathroom between four people. Tonight I will find out how noisy it is at night and tomorrow morning, I will find out whether there is a peak-hour rush for the bathroom.
But on the plus side, I have enough space to do yoga and my room has two windows, one of which overlooks the backyard. This house ticks most of my boxes, but I couldn't help wonder how nice it would be to live with friends. I had two people in mind, and they were both willing, if not as enthusiastic as me. But, all of us had some complications in our life, and we swiftly dropped the idea. Or rather, I dropped it since they had never got on board completely.
One day,  I will live in a house with friends or a partner. A house that feels like a home. But, I have made peace with the fact that that might not happen for at least another year. Till then, as Adrienne reminded me today, I will try to be grateful I have a roof over my head.

No comments: