I wonder how I will look back at this time in my life. I am doing what I love, but it is difficult. I am living in a country I feel the most at home in, but my housing situation is a continuous source of stress. I am full of hope for my own career but the world around me is burning. How will I remember this time say 10 year from now?
Time takes the edge off memories and we play them back in our minds as cartoon films. There are no rough edges, no incongruities, the sun doesn't burn, the wind doesn't whip. The places and characters loom large. and the inconsequential bits melt away. What is stored in our memory may be different from what we perceived at the time, and we are mostly better for it.
I am sucker for nostalgia just as I am prone to flights of fancy. Memories are like an emotional anchor and our perceptions of the past shape our present. This is a good point for a quote from my favourite author Ruskin Bond--'What is nostalgia but an attempt to recreate what was good in the past. The past has been good to us. Let is honour it in this way'.
Time takes the edge off memories and we play them back in our minds as cartoon films. There are no rough edges, no incongruities, the sun doesn't burn, the wind doesn't whip. The places and characters loom large. and the inconsequential bits melt away. What is stored in our memory may be different from what we perceived at the time, and we are mostly better for it.
I am sucker for nostalgia just as I am prone to flights of fancy. Memories are like an emotional anchor and our perceptions of the past shape our present. This is a good point for a quote from my favourite author Ruskin Bond--'What is nostalgia but an attempt to recreate what was good in the past. The past has been good to us. Let is honour it in this way'.
No comments:
Post a Comment