Creatures of habit, occasionally, feel very uncomfortable with their routines and force themselves to break it for the sake of breaking it. When the break is neither joyful or liberating they go back to their old habits, until the next round of restlessness.
Today, I chose not to go to the yoga class I am addicted and attend a talk instead. It was a talk on writing about race and it seemed fitting that I was attending it instead of doig yoga in a room full of white women whose aloofness bordered on hostility. The talk was good, but as someone steeped in a PhD life it takes a lot to get me excited about anything that doesn't have to do with my research. Now, looking back I feel like change finds you whether you are looking for it or not. Sometimes you need change, and that's fair enough. But, change for the sake of it is pointless.
Today, I chose not to go to the yoga class I am addicted and attend a talk instead. It was a talk on writing about race and it seemed fitting that I was attending it instead of doig yoga in a room full of white women whose aloofness bordered on hostility. The talk was good, but as someone steeped in a PhD life it takes a lot to get me excited about anything that doesn't have to do with my research. Now, looking back I feel like change finds you whether you are looking for it or not. Sometimes you need change, and that's fair enough. But, change for the sake of it is pointless.
No comments:
Post a Comment