Monday, November 18, 2019

Screen Addiction

If there is one thing I could change about my body, it would be better eyesight. From ever since I remember till age 28 I wore specs. In my childhood, I broke specs with such a frequency that my parents had me keep a spare pair. At age 28, I had laser surgery because I wanted to know what it was like to wake up in the morning and not reach for my specs. But, laser surgery was not the answer to my visual troubles that I hoped it would be. My eyesight wasn't corrected fully and my vision in the dark was noticeably worse following the surgery. It has been five years since the surgery and my vision has worsened over time but I steadfastly refuse to wear specs, unless I am driving at night or watching a movie in a theatre.
It doesn't help that I spend so much time in front of a computer screen. At the uni, I am in front of a screen about 90% of the time, and when I come home and am done cooking or doing yoga, it seems like the mos natural thing in the world to get on Twitter and get enraged about the state of the world while also steadily ruining my eyes. A lose-lose situation if ever there was one. I realize I need more non-screen based hobbies, and more hobbies, per se, but cultivating new hobbies takes more effort than I am willing to surmount in the last year of my PhD.
I realize the irony of  typing all this on a computer screen, but at least I am not staring at it goggle-eyed.

No comments: