Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Farewell to Mumbai

I am scheduled to fly back to England early  tomorrow morning after 12 weeks in India. My decision to be here for so long was based on gut instinct more than anything else. All in all, it was a good trip both on the personal and the professional front.
But, I can't help look back at the two previous times I traveled from Mumbai to England. the first time was at the start of my PhD, when I was barely recovered from the my post-dengue malaise. The top concern on my mind at that time was finding a place to stay in Bristol and the top fear was that the physical symptoms which had made my life miserable few months would come roaring back. Roaring back they did, but in circumstances that I could never have anticipated.
The second time was early last year, when I was returning after putting to rest the demons in my head. That time, my fear was that I would have to interrupt my studies again and come rushing back to India in a hurry. To make matters worse, I was returning at the height of winter. There were so many fears swimming in my head that no single one could rule me, so I  just got on with it and everything turned out fine. I jumped back into my life in England and landed on my feet. What followed was one of the most fulfilling years of my life (despite sharp jolt) when I was able to put to use the lessons that I had learned in the previous year.
This time around, I am in a completely different frame of mind. I am looking forward to going back and there are people looking forward to having me back. I have my work cut out for me, and will get cracking on it as soon as I reach. And, I look forward to visiting again. Mumbai will never be my favourite city, but it will always be home. And as long as my parents and close friends are here I will keep coming back.

No comments: