After the fiasco with the shampoo yesterday, it was the turn of my cycle to act up. I had left my cycle in a bike shed at the university because my landlord's garage is prone to break-ins. When I checked my cycle today, the front tire was flat. I took my cycle to a pumping station but wasn't able to inflate the front tire. I bought a new pump and a headlight to replace the one damaged by the shampoo. To no avail. And to make a swimming day swell, our cracker-ass neighbour's shed started burning. Whether the fire was intentional or not I don't know, but the air was noxious and the fire brigade had to be called. Then, late in the evening, when it was freezing I braved the journey to my landlord's car in shorts to use the car pump. To make matters worse, his car was parked on the wrong side of the house (for me) which doubled the length of my journey. And, just when I thought I had finally ended my bad-luck streak, the moment I pulled the nozzle off, the tire began to let out air with a faint hissing sound.
The longer one is away the tougher it is to settle down and get back into one's routine. And three months is a long time. Getting used to a place, for the first time or again, takes time and this can be a frustrating period. I am a creature of routine. Not for me the life of a nomad. Teething troubles are not all bad though. While they distract from one's primary job, sometimes they take the mind off existential angst.
The longer one is away the tougher it is to settle down and get back into one's routine. And three months is a long time. Getting used to a place, for the first time or again, takes time and this can be a frustrating period. I am a creature of routine. Not for me the life of a nomad. Teething troubles are not all bad though. While they distract from one's primary job, sometimes they take the mind off existential angst.
No comments:
Post a Comment