Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Yoga Return

Today I went back to yoga class after three months away. It was, as my English colleague says, "absolutely rammed" with no floor space visible between the yoga mats. I was a little nervous about going since my tummy is still not up to scratch. The prospect of loud burps or farts escaping from me was not exciting. But, everything went off swimmingly well. I have written before about how I don't leave every yoga class brimming with energy and contentment, but this was one of those classes when I did. There have been so many times over the past year when I have arrived at the yoga class not feeling physically and mentally 100% and left feeling much better. Of course, it is an intense yoga class, so I wouldn't go if I was sick. But I think I have a fairly good idea of when my ailments are mostly mental or physical.
I am quite proud of myself for continuing to show up for the yoga class. As the only brown man in a sea of white people, mostly women who are quite cliquey, its not the most welcoming place. Today, after more than a year of attending classes, someone introduced themselves to me. I would be the first to admit that I am not the most social person, and when it comes to white people, who frequently look through you, I rarely bother to make the first effort to greet someone. Even then, surely it shouldn't have taken this long. But, this isn't a post about racial and class dynamics in a social setting. I have accepted that I am mostly going to run into middle-class white people in the activities I enjoy participating in. I participate in the activities because I enjoy them, and not necessarily to make friends, so when white people are not the most cordial towards me, I don't really care. As far as the yoga class is concerned, I realized the hard way that I am addicted to it. I missed one class due to work last year, and that spoiled the next few days for me. So I must have my weekly yoga fix. 

No comments: