I have been feeling unsettled the past few weeks. It started with a minor neck injury that was the result of overtraining, coupled with an (again) minor knee ache. We all focus on protecting major load-bearing joints like the knee or the back while exercising, but it is amazing how nearly every upper-body or core exercise puts pressure on the neck. The last time I had injured my neck was when I had strained it while doing pull-ups about four years. It had taken me a week to recover, and I had had to change my sleeping position to avoid putting pressure on my neck. I have, since, adopted that sleeping position as my main sleeping position.
Coming back on point to the dis-order, the exercise injuries were supplemented by a stomach upset which fell into that broad twilight zone of maladies which are not serious enough to warrant medical attention, but intense enough to cause discomfort. These, coupled with the start of the formidable Indian summer, threw me off course. I wasn't able to fall back upon my two principal tools of self-care--yoga and blogging. In fact, I have been blogging and doing yoga sporadically these past couple of weeks. Blogging hasn't provided that familiar feeling of fulfillment and being centered that it usually does and neither has yoga. I feel unsettled and off balance. Yesterday, as I did upper-body exercises, my wrist--the only bodypart to have escaped attention these past weeks--started to ache. It really felt as though my body was silently rebelling against me. Mind you, none of these niggling injuries and upset stomach, were serious enough to see a doctor.
The only thing to do is to resume blogging and yoga. This evening, in keeping with my practice of finding yoga sessions whose central message is likely to resonate with my current state of mind, I did a Listen practice, which focuses on listening to the body and the mind. I enjoyed it and also remembered why I enjoy Yoga with Adrienne so much. So the only thing to do is to keep listening and keep showing up for myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment